Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Uniforms?

I wear a uniform to work so all the advice you read or see on TV about having pieces that are good for work and casual wear are really not that useful for me. It means I really don't have to dress up much during an average week. So, I wear a lot of jeans. A lot. But I still want a way to look interesting, cute, and feel like myself. All while being just a little bit trendy. That's why I love What I Wore Wednesday. Did I mention I just came off 6 years straight of being pregnant and/or breastfeeding? Yikes. The figure has settled down and now the wardrobe needs to be rebuilt.

So coming up for fall I have thought about clothes and what I can feel good in, afford and mix and match nicely. Besides enjoying WIWW at the Pleated Poppy (where I am linking up today), I have taken some cues from this post about the mommy uniform at Sensibly Styled, and from Angie's Mom On The Go formulas from last fall at You Look Fab. I have also taken some inspiration from Jill at the Good Life for Less and her trendy self, I even bought her fall looks:book and it's very fun.

My uniforms or formulas are going to be based on the jeans as that is the hardest spot to fill in my wardrobe. I have 3 types of jeans and I made 2-3 formulas for each. Here is a glimpse of what I came up with.

Skinnies

I was totally inspired by Jill, Reachel, and Lisa. More dress type tunics are on my list, and I bought a darker long cardi today.

Formula #1- Tunic + skinnies + flats/boots
Skinnies comfort fit - Reitman's
Navy tunic T - H&M (as a side note, wow do they have cute stuff in that store!)
flats - can't really remember!

Formula #2 - T + long cardi + skinnies + flats/bootsSkinnies comfort fit - Reitman's
Aqua boyfriend T - Superstore ( Joe Fresh)
Grey Jersey cardi - Target (please come to Canada Target, I am begging!)
necklace - made by me
Grey loafer wedges - Payless





Straight Leg Jeans

Formula #1 - long sleeved T + straight leg jeans + flats/boots

Jeans Comfort fit - Reitman's
Grey top - Banana Republic
Multi strand necklace - Reitman's (hey, the jewelry was buy one get one free)
Black flats - Mark's Work Wearhouse (you can't see them, but they are super cute leather flats with a gathered detail)
Another version of formula #1
Straight leg jeans - GAP
Grey striped boatneck top - Superstore
Silver Hoops - Target
Grey loafer wedges - Payless (a yr or 2 ago)
Formula #2 - cardi + T + straight leg jeans + flats

This is the formula I have the most options with, I have many cardigans to choose from.
Straight Leg Jeans - GAP
Navy boyfriend fit T - Superstore
Green Cardi - Gap
CZ studs - Jewelry home party (can't remember the name)
Brown suede loafers - Lands End at Sears

Another version of formula #2
Straight Leg Jeans - GAP
White Ruffle T - Superstore
Brown Cardi - Banana Replubic
Blue pendant - Reitman's
Brown flats - Payless
Then I have some thoughts for bootcut jeans, but no pictures of that today.
I also made a few templates for skirts but that is also for another day.

This may seem over the top in terms of the amount of thought put into clothes. Maybe it is, that is my tendency. But I was hoping that by thinking things out I would save myself money (only buying what would work in my wardrobe) and time (in getting ready for school day mornings). It has worked in the budget department - so far - as I have bought jeans (but I really needed jeans, remember 6 years 3 babies?) and just a few tops. And when I was picking outfits, the possibilities were endless!

3 comments:

  1. You look great after 3 kids!!! I love H&M and am sad they aren't in Texas. Cute outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jess.

    I am not 100% sure what you meant by your question at Yellow Blackbird today. But I think you were asking about the white layer with the high neckline I was wearing. If yes, it is a cap sleeve t-shirt from Down East basics. I have them in several colors and wear one literally everyday under my clothes to be more modest. Here is a link to where you can buy them:
    http://www.downeastbasics.com/teesandcamis.aspx

    I buy the "wonder tees" but there are a lot of other options too.

    If that isn't what you were asking, ask again and I will give you a better answer!

    Aubree
    yellowblackbird.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment on my blog. :) I really like your blue necklace. So cute!

    ReplyDelete